Monday, July 31, 2006

Fried Ice Cream :(

Have you guys ever had the problem where you have eaten some amazing food item somewhere only to realize later that it is unavailable to you? Well I have and this is that story. I have an aunt, uncle, and cousin that live in between Houston and the Gulf. While visiting them years ago they introduced me to fried ice cream. This stuff was amazing. It was hot, it was cold, it was cinnamony, it was creamy, it was a dream. Since that time I have come to find out that most Mexican restaurants have "fried" ice cream. But all fried icecreams I have had since have been pretenders. You see the fried icecream I fell in love with consisted of ice cream that was wrapped in some sort of bread product perhaps a tortilla along with cinnamony goodness and then deep fried. When you eat this thing some of the ice cream would be a smidge melted much like when you put icecream on hot apple pie.

Now most places do one of three things and call it fried ice cream. They put a scoop of ice cream in one of those fried tortilla bowls like from a taco salad and then they put whipped cream and various toppings and or sauces. Then there are those who make "real fried" ice cream These guys take a scoop of ice cream roll if in cornflakes or another cereal product and then fry it briefly and put it in a taco salad bowl with whipped cream etc. Then there are those who do the same as the previous example but they don't fry it, this pretty much tastes the same. All of these pretenders taste fine; although, I could do without all the cereal on my ice cream. However, none of them are brings tears to your eyes great.

This brings me to where I am now I want me some fried ice cream. I am figuring I need to fry it in a tortilla but do I start out with a raw one and form it around the ice cream or is there some way of sealing an already cooked tortilla around it then frying. So tonight I looked at around over forty recipes for fried ice cream and the closest thing I could find, most said to roll in corn flakes, was molding white bread around it then frying. So if you have any insights they would be greatly appreciated. Things I would like to know are: What was the name of that restaurant? What can you guys remember about the fried ice cream? (When I ate it as a teenager I didn't know I was going to be trying to recreate the now discontinued menu item a decade later.) (help me out here Mom, Dad, Tim, Nana) How do I make this stuff?!?!?!?!

Has this ever happened to you guys?

3 comments:

Allen said...

In my extensive research I found either Chi-Chi's recipe or description last night and it too was not the grail.

Allen said...

That was along the idea of what I had figured it would be. Another idea that I had was that the icecream or the inside of the tortilla may benefit from being coated in a cinnomony caramel sauce.

Tim said...

I don't remember where I learned the nija art of Fried Icecream, but here is how I recall doing it (which is weird because I have never done it)

Make balls of icecream, Refreze it untill completey solid, you may want to check the internal temperature of a sample to ensure it has been alowed to properly and completely freze again.

then bread icecream, with your favorite fried icecream batter. briefly fry, then refreze as above.

latter, fry again to continue the process of cooking the batter, refreze.

repeat the last step a couple of additional times.

then refry a last time and enjoy promptly.

It takes a couple of days, that is why everyone rolls some icecream in some cornflakes, poors chocolate on top and calls it good.

Sorry for the bad spelling, i tried to avoid words i can't spell but i don't know another word for freze,I know it either has more z's or e's could be the r's or f's though.

Shine on,
Tim